Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul alike. -John Muir

Thursday, February 24, 2011

White Bean Quinoa Salad


Three simple facts about me: I am a vegetarian, I rock climb, I am allergic to nuts.  That doesn't really leave me with much protein to build muscle, which is not great when I am trying to get stronger in the gym.  I have been searching for ways to add more protein to my diet.  Voila! Quinoa... a grain that is high in protein, yes please.

  
To cook quinoa: add 2 parts water to 1 part quinoa, simmer until all water is absorbed. It should end up looking like the above picture.  

Quinoa is very versatile.  It can be used in dishes you would use bulger wheat, couscous, or even rice... or you can make breakfast quinoa much like oatmeal or cream of wheat.  I needed lunches, so I made a salad.


Here's what you need:
1 1/2 cups (measured uncooked) cooked quinoa
1/2 small red onion (diced)
1 orange bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
2 cobs of corn (decobbed)
1 can navy beans
juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
minced garlic (optional)



Stir to combine.  Taste, evaluate flavor, add salt and pepper if needed.  Enjoy right away, or pack in a handy mason jar for lunch tomorrow.  (Makes enough to serve a crowd, or use for lunches for a week)


No comments:

Post a Comment