Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul alike. -John Muir

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Rice Pudding and a Gift From My Mom




This week has been really crappy especially because the weekend weather is perfect from climbing and I am stuck inside being a gimp waiting for my ankle to heal.  But, just when I was in the middle of my pity party, I got a package from my mom. 



 And inside was a spice grinder made especially for bakers.  I knew immediately I must make something to put it in.... rice pudding.  (Note: you don't need this grinder to make the rice pudding, but it does add a special something)


 What you need:
1 cup long grain rice
4 cups water
3 cinnamon sticks
zest from one lemon
pinch of cloves
14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
3 cups milk
1 egg
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
(additional spice to taste)


Soak rice, lemon zest, and cinnamon in 4 cups of water (in a large pot) for one hour.  After one hour place pot on burner and bring to a boil.  Once rice comes to a boil reduce heat to medium and allow to simmer uncovered until most of the water is absorbed by the rice or evaporates (about 30 minutes).  While the rice cooks, beat the egg and milk together in a bowl.  When the water is absorbed into the rice, add milk, egg, condensed milk, vanilla, salt, cloves to rice.  Allow this mixture to simmer for about 30 minutes; it should thicken some, but will thicken more (especially in the fridge).  after 30 minutes taste and add additional spices if needed.  Turn off heat, remove cinnamon sticks, and allow pudding to cool.  Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment