Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul alike. -John Muir

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Glazed Doughnuts



I have been messing around with doughnuts for about 3 years now and I finally came out with something I am proud of. I'm convinced that those light, airy doughnuts I crave from krispy cream are made by the hands of angels, but I gave them a run for their money... if angles use money of course...

I think the hardest part about doughnuts (or any bread for that matter) is that so many variables come into play. For doughnuts, flour type, yeast, humidity, temp, time, oil type, and oil temp are some that come to mind.

Here's the recipe I used and I'll discuss some things I may change in the future.


2 Packages Yeast 
1/4 Cup Warm water (105-115 degrees) 
1-1/2 Cups Lukewarm milk (scalded 
Then cooled) 
1/2 Cup Sugar 
1 Teaspoon Salt 
2 Eggs 
1/3 Cup Shortening 
5 Cups All-purpose flour 
Vegetable oil 

Creamy Glaze: 
1/3 Cup Butter 
2 Cups Powdered sugar 
1-1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla 
6 Tablespoons Hot water 

Dissolve yeast in warm water in 2 1/2-quart bowl. Add milk, salt, eggs, shortening, sugar and 2 cups flour. Beat on low speed scraping bowl constantly, 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed scraping bowl occasionally, 2 minutes. Stir in remaining flour until smooth. Cover and let rise in warm place, until double, 50-60 minutes. (Dough is ready when indentation remains when touched.) Turn dough onto floured surface; roll around lightly to coat with flour. Gently roll dough 1/2-inch thick with floured rolling pin.





Cut with floured doughnut cutter. 








Cover and let rise until double, 30-40 minutes. 





Heat vegetable oil in deep fryer to 350 degrees. Slide doughnuts into hot oil with wide spatula. Turn doughnuts as they rise to the surface. Fry until golden brown, about 1 minute on each side. Remove carefully from oil (do not prick surface); drain. Dip the doughnuts into creamy glaze set on rack then when slightly cooled spread chocolate glaze on top. Can dip in sprinkles or other toppings after chocolate if desired. 

Creamy Glaze: Heat butter until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Stir in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency. 



Some Random Thoughts

-The overall flavor was nice. It wasn't nearly as sweet as to what I'm used to (which kind of scared me because I could see myself using 1 cup of confectioners sugar next time inside the dough).

-The texture was by far the lightest doughnut I have made, but it would like it airy.....er? more airy.


Some things I've learned/thoughts for the future

-I used AP flour which has a protein content of around 10%. this might be slightly on the high side resulting in more gluten which probably is what stiffened up the dough. next time I will use cake flour, or a combination of cake/AP flour. zero to light kneading only.

-oil temp is uber important. you need to be between 350 and 360. a thermometer is the only way to go here. guessing will only result in a burnt, or oily doughnut. (this i learned many times)

-I will definitely use more sugar inside the dough next time, probably 1/4-1/2 cup more. 

few things beat a fresh doughnut. go for it! 





2 comments:

  1. I know this cannot be Becca's recipe... Lol it's not healthy enough. Which is why it is PRECISELY my kind of recipe. Throw some chopped bacon in the icing, and you've got yourself a big fan!

    Cheers,

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, i like your style. stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete