Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul alike. -John Muir

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Refrigerator Dill Pickles

This year I have been eating a whole lot of pickles.  They are just rather tasty and salty and I can resist them.  But I have started wondering why the ones you buy in the store are neon green.  So I took of from school on m y birthday and made some pickles from scratch.  And then I waited a week to eat them.  The verdict: they are delicious and so easy, perfect for a blog entry.


 The very 1st step is to cut 12 pickling cucumbers in half or in quarters.  Then soak them in water for one hour.

While the cucumbers are soaking heat 3 cups apple cider vinegar and 3 cups water on the stove top, to simmer.  Add to this mixture 1/8 cup sugar and 1/4 cup salt.  Stir to dissolve and take of heat.  Let cool until luke warm.

Add 6 cloves of garlic (chopped), 1 dried red pepper, 3 tsp dried dill, 1 1/2 tsp of pickling spice to a 3 liter jar (or you can divide these among 4 quart jars).

When the cucumbers have sat long enough, place them in the jars.  Pour the liquid over them to cover.  Now refrigerate for at least one week.   

After that week is up, enjoy your long awaited success (I told you they don't last long in my house).

 (This week I am trying this recipe with various spice variations so stay tuned and I will give you an update in one week.)

Updated Recipe:  
12 pickling cucumbers
3 1/2 cup water
2 1/2 apple cider vinegar
1/8 cup sugar
1/2 cup salt
2 tsp pickling spices
6 large clove garlic
1 large chili pepper
3 tsp dill weed

1 comment:

  1. Update: I doubled the salt and sugar in the most recent batch. It is quite good as well and definitely has a much saltier flavor.

    ReplyDelete