Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul alike. -John Muir

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Black Bean and Butternut Squash Soup


I thought I would give Eric a chance to post next, but I ended up deciding to make soup for lunches this week.  And it turned out so well I couldn't help but post the recipe.

Also let me say that I made enough soup to feel a small village.  

Before starting this recipe I said a quick prayer to the god of sharp objects so that I may keep all 10 digits on my hands.  Butternut squash is notoriously hard to chop up.  I usually use the sharpest knife I own to peel off the outside and then the biggest knife I own to get enough leverage to cube the flesh.

Black Bean Butternut Squash Soup 

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.  Cube one large butternut squash and one large russet potato.  Toss these in 2 tbsp olive oil, one tsp of salt and a few grinds of black pepper.  Roast for 30 minutes or until tender.


After 30 minutes take the butternut squash out of the oven and let it sit.  In a large pot saute one large yellow onion and one tbsp garlic until translucent.  At this point you can add one can diced tomatoes, half the butternut squash, one bouillon cube, 2 cans (drained) black beans.  Cover this with water and simmer.


At this point I used my immersion blender to combine the soup base.  But you can also make it nice and creamy and lovely by ladling it into a regular blender.

After the based is the consistency you like, add one more can of black beans and the rest of the butternut squash.  Salt, pepper and spices to taste.



It looks like autumn in a bowl :)  And so tasty too...

No comments:

Post a Comment